High Street

Photographs depicting High Street

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0436

This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson from the south side of Dundee's Nethergate at the point where it merges with the city's High Street, perhaps from the northern end of Crichton Street.

W. H. Melville is listed as 'silk mercers, drapers, tailors, dressmakers, mantlemakers, milliners and general outfitters' at Nos. 9-13 Nethergate and No. 29 High Street for several decades. He lived at Dunvarlich in Wormit.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0436

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0450

This photograph shows Dundee's High Street looking to the east. The shop at the extreme right (John B. Hurrie) is the start of Nethergate. This business also helps to date the image to around 1898.

D & W Prophet, the photographers, had a studio in No. 23 High Street (and also at No. 59 Wellgate), which also housed Watt &Co., procurators, John Harris, a solicitor, the dentist Patrick S. Walker, and David Beath, a currier (a leather treater).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0450

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0413

The south side of Dundee's Nethergate and High Street are shown in this photograph, taken from Melville House, outside the Dundee Arms. The clock tower of the Town House serves as a point of reference.

James S. Kerr's boot shop is at No. 2 Nethergate and forms part of a small chain belonging to the Kerr family. An article (with photographs) in the Piper O' Dundee of 22nd December 1897 gives background information on their various shops and achievements.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0413

Murraygate, Dundee

£8.25

Murraygate, Dundee - Ref: WC0394

The original caption of this photograph is not quite accurate. The main focus is the north-east end of Dundee High Street, its confluence with Commercial Street and then, leading into the distance, Murraygate.

No. 84 High Street was the grocer, William Hazell, the Maybole Dairy was No. 85, the Book Mart at No. 86 was run by Mrs H. McGregor, a bookseller and stationer. No. 88 housed the clothiers, John Frazer & Sons, and No. 90 John Jamieson & Co.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0394

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0332

This photograph focuses on the Town House, which stood in the middle of Dundee's main shopping area on the south side of High Street.

From the east (to the left), the adjoining streets are Commercial Street at the extreme left, Castle Street, Tindal's Wynd between Smith's and H Adams & Son the glovemakers, and St Clement's Lane, unseen between the Pillars and Mackays the jewellers.

The Piper of Dundee, vol. 26, p. 364, has photographs and a biography of James P. and Arthur Smith and their business.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0332

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0341

Lindsay Street is seen here at its southern junction with Nethergate and High Street.

A Davie, the dentist who succeeded Dr Stewart, had a dental factory at No. 25 Nethergate, as did Alexander Birnie, the photographic supplier.

The minister of the School Wynd United Free Church in August 1900 was George Smart, who resided at No. 22 Springfield, off Perth Road.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0341

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0331

This section of the south side of Dundee's High Street is framed by Castle Street to the east at the lefthand side and William Bell's tailor business at the righthand side.

The advertisement on the corner is for M. Craig, fancy wool repository and underclothing, at No. 3 Castle Street.

Between Smith Brothers and Henry Adams & Co. is Tindall's Wynd, which led to Castle Lane and on to Shore Terrace.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0331

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee (west side) - Ref: WC0309

Dundee High Street leads to the left of Monk's House (with the Houdini poster), while the Overgate leads off to the right (and north side). The photograph can be dated approximately to June 1909, when the escapologist visited the city.

Parked outside Whytock's is a motor car - the first to feature in the Wilson Collection. In the Overgate, Ramsay's 'famed' tearooms can be seen. Lennie & Thomson the opticians also advertisa 'Kodak supplies', confirming the city's interest in photography.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0309

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0310

This photograph was taken from the south side of Dundee High Street, perhaps at the north end of Castle Street, looking west along to the junction with the Overgate.

In the central building, John Craig (whose advertising, in a rather unlikely fashion, highlights underclothing) has sold his shop, while above that was 'The Garden', Dundee's vegetarian restaurant.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0310

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee (north side) - Ref: WC0311

This photograph shows the elegant building which forms the north-eastern end of Dundee's High Street, reading from west to east, left to right.

J. P. Smith & Sons was established in 1841 in a flat in High Street not far from what The Piper O' Dundee of 29th November 1899 calls 'the present palatial establishment', whose frontage was 'entirely remodelled and brightened'.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0311
Syndicate content