High Street

Photographs depicting High Street

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1065

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the south side of Dundee High Street, with Castle Street running southwards at the lefthand side. The buildings shown were demolished at the start of the 20th century to make way for a new Royal Bank of Scotland.

D. M. Allan was a perfumer, haircutter and wig maker at No. 1. Above were the offices of D. & J. Milne, house and property agents. At No. 2 were Stewart's & Co., tailors. Stead & Simpson, the shoe shop, was next door.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1065

Electric Tram in Dundee High Street

£8.25

Electric tram in Dundee High Street - Ref: WC1054

The Nethergate is seen in this photograph by Alexander Wilson leading eastwards towards High Street in the distance. The City Churches are to the left (behind the fencing) and Union Street leads south to the railway stations behing the tram.

Wilson recorded various early means of transport in his collection. Electric trams were introduced into the city in 1900, replacing steam engines (although four were retained as snowploughs), which had themselves replaced horse-drawn trams

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1054

The Vault, Dundee

£8.25

The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0660

This photograph shows The Vault, a curious Dundee back street which ran from High Street behind the Town House to meet St Clement's Lane. The area was demolished when the new City Square complex was built.

The coffee-house is most probably William Nicoll's establishment, listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 16 St Clement's Lane. William Smith, the wine and malt liqour merchant, actually owned Nos. 5, 9 and 11 The Vault.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0660

The Vault, Dundee (North and West sides)

£8.25

The Vault, Dundee (north and west sides) - Ref: WC0661

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows part of Dundee's The Vault, which was to the south of the High Street, behind the Town House, and was mostly public houses and residences.

William Smith is shown as a wine and malt liquor merchant at No. 9 and as an importer of wines & spirits at No. 5. He also owned No. 11, and the Queen's Hotel in Nethergate, as well as having a bottling company and acting as agents for various breweries.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0661

The Vault, Dundee

£8.25

The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0662

This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows The Vault, an area to the south of Dundee's Town House, on the High Street, which was predominantly residential, with a considerable number of public houses.

William Smith owned Nos. 5, 9 and 11, as well as The Queen's Hotel in Nethergate, and additionally had a bottling company, which handled Edinburgh and Burton ales, and London and Dublin stouts. William S. McNab's leather warehouse was No. 1.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0662

The Vault, Dundee

£8.25

The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0663

This photograph shows the north and west sides of the part of Dundee's city centre called The Vault, which lay to the south of High Street, behind the Town House, where it met St Clement's Lane. This area was demolished when City Square was built.

The washing line confirms that it was predominantly a residential area, but there were several public houses (which perhaps explains the presence of the rather ornate public convenience!) and other places for social activity.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0663

The Vault, Dundee

£8.25

The Vault, Dundee - Ref: WC0664

This photograph in fact shows the junction of The Vault and St Clement's Lane, which ran towards one another at the back of Dundee's Town House, having originated on the High Street.

The businesses shown are rather problemmatic, in that neither is listed in the Dundee Directory and no other source of information is forthcoming. In fact, it seems to have been Dundee Directory policy not to list anything to do with shooting.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0664

Seagate, Dundee

£8.25

Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0592

This photograph was taken from the east end of Dundee's High Street and shows the crossroads leading into the Seagate across Commercial Street, which runs north to south from right to left.

The Dundee Directory of 1896-97 and the two subsequent issues match the identifiable businesses with one exception: D. Rodney does not appear in any of the listings.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0592

Seagate, Dundee

£8.25

Seagate, Dundee - Ref: WC0591

This photograph shows the junction of Dundee's Commercial Street, running from north to south and left to right, with the Seagate to the diagonal left and High Street (from whence the image was captured).

The identifiable businesses match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1893-94, with No. 41 occupied by Alexander Heggie, clothier, the right-most apartment of the block known as Commercial Buildings. The ironmonger John H. Stewart was at No. 43a.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0591

St Clement's Lane, Dundee

£8.25

St Clement's Lane, Dundee - Ref: WC0558

St Clement's Lane in Dundee ran southwards to the east of the Town House, then along the back of the building, where it met the Vault. This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection was taken from the Vault.

No. 22 was a public house belonging to Mrs M. Carmichael, while No. 20 was the Gowrie Tavern, belonging to Miss Margaret Stewart. Both of these lived at No. 6 Shore Terrace.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0558
Syndicate content