High Street

Photographs depicting High Street

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1076

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the open space to the south of Dundee's High Street known as The Greenmarket, viewed from Dock Street (the salt store belonging to James Cowan jnr. is listed in Dock Street).

To the east is the Crown Hotel, one of the city's oldest, listed at No. 40 Greenmarket and No. 1 Shore Terrace. The manager at the end of the 19th century was Mrs E. Steel. At No. 5 Shore Terrace were the offices of the D.P. & L. sailing company.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1076

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1084

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north-eastern corner of the Greenmarket in Dundee, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading to the Vault at the right.

James F. Croal, the grocer, was No. 2 Greenmarket, the Criterion restaurant, owned by Forbes Watson, is listed at Nos. 6 and 6a, and Mrs D. Lowden's public house (name unknown) was No. 8.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1084

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1085

This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection shwos Dundee's Greenmarket, viewed here from the south, with Crichton Street leading to the High Street at the lefthand side.

Behind the rear wheel of the cart is James F. Croal's grocery. Behind the horse is D. Lowden's public house. In between (unseen) was Forbes Watson's Criterion restaurant.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1085

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1091

The north-eastern corner of Dundee's Greenmarket is shown in this Alexander Wilson photograph, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading eastwards to the Vault in the centre.

James F. Croal's grocery was at the corner of the two streets. He specialised in imported tea. Forbes Watson's Criterion restaurant was next door, listed at Nos. 6 and 6a. Another public house (name unknown) was run by Mrs D. Lowden at No. 8.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1091

Electric Tram in Dundee High Street

£8.25

Electric tram in Dundee High Street - Ref: WC1054

The Nethergate is seen in this photograph by Alexander Wilson leading eastwards towards High Street in the distance. The City Churches are to the left (behind the fencing) and Union Street leads south to the railway stations behing the tram.

Wilson recorded various early means of transport in his collection. Electric trams were introduced into the city in 1900, replacing steam engines (although four were retained as snowploughs), which had themselves replaced horse-drawn trams

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1054

Electric Tram in Dundee High Street

£8.25

Electric tram in Dundee High Street - Ref: WC1055

Alexander Wilson took many photographs whose subjects were means of transport, without which our impressions of that aspect of life at the time would be much the poorer.

Electric trams (like the one seen in front of the Town House in Dundee's High Street) were introduced to the city in 1900, having been preceded first by horse-drawn and then steam-driven trams. Four of the steam engines were maintained as snowploughs.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1055

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee

£8.25

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1058


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1058

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee

£8.25

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1059


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1059

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee

£8.25

Demolition of Gray's Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1060


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1060

Gray's Close, Dundee

£8.25

Gray's Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1061


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1061
Syndicate content