High Street

Photographs depicting High Street

Royal Bank, High Street, Dundee

£8.25

Royal Bank, High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1290


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1290

Royal British Hotel, Dundee

£8.25

Royal British Hotel, Dundee - Ref: WC1291


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1291

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1133

David Millar Brown was an innovative businessman who started as an apprentice draper to many Lochee and Dundee shops. When he established his first shop he employed 3 people and by 1938 this number had risen to 400.

A tearoom was opened in 1900 an idea soon copied by other department store owners. The business was taken over by the House of Fraser Group in 1952 but was not renamed until 1972 when it became Arnotts.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1133

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1131

David Miller Brown was an innovative businessman. The expansion of his business went from a one-window shop at 80 High Street to a magnificent glass arcade which streched to Commercial Street.

The first section of the arcade was opened on 5th July 1906 and was completed in 1908. The arcard provided 80 feet of window space.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1131

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1132

This area of the High Street remains much the same today. The D.M.Brown shop eventually expanded to encompass the rest of the businesses positioned to the right of it.

A glass arcade was built by the company to make a walkway from the High Street to Commercial Street. David Millar Brown started his apprenticeship with various drapers in Lochee and Dundee.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1132

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1103

The Greenmarket was an open space to the north of Dundee Harbour and to the south of the High Street, which was reached via Crichton Street at the righthand side of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, a jute factory manager.

The building to the right of centre was the old Customs House, known locally as Drummond Castle, and sometimes Pierson's Mansion. It was occupied to the years before demolition by the china warehouse belonging to James McLean.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1103

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1128

D.M.Brown's departmenty store was a landmark for many generations of Dundee's citizens. David Millar Brown the son of a Lochee coal merchant served his apprenticeship as a draper with various Lochee and Dundee shops.

D.M.Brown set us his own business at the age of 24 employing 3 people. The business was so successful that by 1938 D.M.Brown employed 400 people.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1128

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1129

David Millar Brown set up business at number 80 High Street in 1888. His first shop had one window which he filled with a colourful selection of goods. He started his business with 3 people and eventually employed over 400.

By 1908 D.M.Browns stretched from the original shop, down the High Street and round to Commercial Street. David Millar Brown served his apprenticeship with various drapers in Lochee and Dundee.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1129

D. M. Brown, Dundee

£8.25

D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1130

This building is now called Arnotts Department Store but is still referred to as D.M.Browns by some Dundonians. David Millar Brown established his business in 1888 and steadily expanded.

David Millar Brown bought new and innovative ideas to shopping. The business was acquired in 1952 by the House of Fraser Group although the name did not change to Arnotts until 1972.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1130

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1074

This photograph from the Alexander Wilson Collection shows Greenmarket in Dundee, with Crichton Street running northwards to the High Street at the left and Castle Lane leading eastwards in the corner towards the Vault.

Dundee Temperance Society and The Gospel Temperance Union, whose agent was John Carter, were based at No. 39 High Street. No. 16 Crichton Street was George B. Mills, a tailor. No. 26 was James F. Croal, the grocer, also listed at No. 2 Greenmarket.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1074
Syndicate content