Shops

Photographs depicting shops

Ballater

£8.25

Ballater - Ref: WC2244


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2244

Ballater

£8.25

Ballater - Ref: WC2245


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2245

Ballater

£8.25

Ballater - Ref: WC2246


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2246

High Street, Arbroath

£8.25

Arbroath, High Street - Ref: WC2207


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2207

High Street, Arbroath

£8.25

Arbroath, High Street - Ref: WC2208


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2208

Ryehill Church, Dundee

£8.25

strong>Ryehill Church, Dundee - Ref: WC2129

This Norman style church, designed by architect George Aitken, was opened on the 5th March 1880. In 1985, the church and its associated buildings were converted into 19 flats.

The row of shops in the photograph include, from right, Andrew Lawson, medical hall, William J. Rae, grocer, Mrs John Ramsay, confectioner, Jane Dewar, fruiterer, Charles Chalmers, butcher and A. W. Osler, grocer.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2129

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, north side, Dundee - Ref: WC2140

The street Thorter Row, seen in this photograph of the Overgate, dates back to the fifteenth century. The street name is possibly a corruption of the word "athwart" as it ran between the High Street and Overgate.

The shops seen in the photograph include, on the corner, Mrs William Stewart's, bootmaker. On the other side, S Nathan, jeweller and a wholesale warehouse belonging to J A Lalor.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2140

Gray Street, King Street, Corner, Broughty Ferry Corner, Dundee

£8.25

Gray Street, King Street, Corner, Broughty Ferry Corner, Dundee - Ref: WC1868


In Victorian times as today this is a popular, busy shopping area in Broughty Ferry. Gray Street was named after a famous family who held Broughty Castle for almost two hundred years during the late 15th century.

The corner shop of family grocer, W.Hazell, was at 11 Gray Street while Antonio Franchi's ices and refreshment saloon was at number 13. It is interesting to note the different styles of prams in the photograph.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1868

Wilson, G. L. , The Corner, Dundee

£8.25

G.L. Wilson,The Corner, Dundee - Ref: WC1869


This department store, on a corner site at Murrraygate and Commercial Street, was founded by Guy Wilson, the son of a Lanarkshire farmer, in 1894. G. L. Wilson's, was popularly known as "The Corner."

Guy Wilson's sons, Garnet and John, joined the family business. Garnet Wilson became a distinguished lord provost of Dundee. The department store closed in December, 1971. The building underwent major redevelopment in the 1990s and is now retail units. The exterior was refurbished to its original state.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1869

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1882

St Mary's Tower, better known as the Old Steeple, was completed in the 1480s. In its turbulent history the Old Steeple has been fortified by an invading English force in the 16th century, used by the defenders of Dundee as a desperate, unsuccessful, stand against General Monk in 1651 and survived the 1841 fire which devastated the City Churches.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1882
Syndicate content