Schools/Education

Photographs depicting schools and education

Blind Institution, Dundee

£8.25

Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1123

The Dundee Institute for the Blind became the Royal Dundee Institute of the Blind in 1915 after the directors applied to the King for permission to use Royal in the title, in recognition of the long service of the institute, permission was granted.

After the amalgamation of the institution with Lord Roberts Workshop and subsequent move to Dunsinane the building was converted into sheltered housing accommodation for frail, elderly people.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1123

Perth Road, Dundee

£8.25

Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0536

This building is part of Queen's College, the one of the original sections of Dundee University, which stands slightly set back from the north side of Perth Road.

Originally built as a two-storey villa by the town architects as Union Mount in 1813, the building was converted for University College Dundee (which was then an annex of the University of St Andrews) in 1904-05 as a library and student's union.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0536

Reform Street and Bank Street, Dundee

£8.25

Reform Street and Bank Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0552

This photograph shows the junction of Reform Street, here seen running northwards to the High School, and Bank Street, which runs westwards, parallel to the Overgate, towards Barrack Street.

The pianoforte & music saloons, 'sole agents in Scotland' for Bechstein and Steinway, were Paterson, Sons & Co. Pricelists in Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection (Box 29(19)) list other stores in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ayr and Dumfries.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0552

Magdalen Yard Road, Dundee

£8.25

Magdalen Yard Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0345


Magdalen Yard Road is in the south west of Dundee, north of the railway lines and not far from the river.

To the right of this photograph is the Dundee Institution for the Blind (one of the windows has a sign "Upholstery Department").

At the left of Step Row is No. 65 Magdalen Yard Road, Uniongrove, owned by Mrs David Robertson.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0345

Albert Square, Dundee

| next
£8.25

Albert Square, Dundee - Ref: WC0005


To the left of this photograph is Dundee High School (the boys' building, which was originally the Public Seminaries).

To the right is the fountain which sat outside the Albert Institute. It was removed when a tree crashed down during a storm and broke the side. 'Rabbie Burns', whose statue stood nearby, wrote to the local paper the next day, expressing his shock.

The church in the centre is Panmure Street Chapel, a congregationalist church. Behind it stands the original Secession Church.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0005
Syndicate content