Public Houses/Inns

Photographs depicting public houses and inns

Royal Jubilee Arms Hotel, Dykehead

£8.25

Royal Jubilee Arms Hotel, Dykehead - Ref: WC2386


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2386

Cortachy, Ogilvie's Arms Hotel

£8.25

Cortachy, Ogilvie's Arms Hotel - Ref: WC2387


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2387

Berwick

£8.25

Berwick - Ref: WC2308


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2308

Ayr, Tam O' Shanter Inn

£8.25

Ayr, Tam O' Shanter Inn - Ref: WC2228


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2228

Caw's Restaurant, Dundee

£8.25

Caw's Restaurant, 26 Panmure Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1137

The name of "Caws" survives today in the same location although it now Caw's Public Bar and has been re-numbered 25 Panmure Street. The different double window with door in the middle is how it appears today.

Panmure Street was opened in 1893 and named after William Ramsay Maule, first Baron of Panmure. Today it is a busy city centre street.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1137

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1084


This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north-eastern corner of the Greenmarket in Dundee, with Crichton Street leading northwards to the High Street at the left, and Castle Lane leading to the Vault at the right.

James F. Croal, the grocer, was No. 2 Greenmarket, the Criterion restaurant, owned by Forbes Watson, is listed at Nos. 6 and 6a, and Mrs D. Lowden's public house (name unknown) was No. 8.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1084

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC1066


This photograph shows the north-east corner of an open space in Dundee which was known as the Greenmarket, with the junction with Castle Lane in the centre.

J.F. Croal, the grocer, also had shops at No. 84 Victoria Road. Next door to his Greenmarket shop was the Criterion Restaurant. This was surely also a public house, run by Forbes Watson, listed in the Dundee Directory as a wines and spirits merchant.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1066

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0511

The junction shown in this photograph is that of Dundee's Overgate with Barrack Street leading to the north (going leftwards here) and Tally Street (which led, unseen here, southwards to the Nethergate).

The Swan, a public house in Barrack Street, advertising (among other things) Ballingall's India pale ale, belonged to David Stewart, owner also of the family grocer's business at No. 59 Overgate. No. 57 was the wine merchant William Reid.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0511

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0512

This photograph shows Dundee's Overgate shopping area, with Barrack Street leading to the north at the left hand side, and Tally Street leading southwards to the Nethergate at the right.

David Stewart was the family grocer at No. 59 Overgate, with the wine merchant William Reid next door at No. 57. William Crawford, the bootmaker, was at No. 53. William P. Saunders, the printer, was at No. 51, and lived at No. 155 Albert Street.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0512

High Street, Dundee

£8.25

High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0244

The Caird Fountain stood in front of the Dundee Arms at No. 31 High Street.

The junctions at Melville House are with Thorter Row, leading northwards to the Overgate, and Church Lane, leading to the City Churches.

William Ferrier (who styles himself "artistic photographer" in advertisements in the Dundee Directory) is at No. 1 Tally Street, and the buildings between his studio and Melville House are Nethergate rather than High Street.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0244
Syndicate content