Factories/Mills

Photographs depicting factories and mills in Dundee

Crieff, Water mill

£8.25

Crieff, Water mill - Ref: WC2424


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2424

Dochart Mill

£8.25

Dochart Mill - Ref: WC2445


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2445

Dochart Mill

£8.25

Dochart Mill - Ref: WC2446


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2446

Dochart Mill

£8.25

Dochart Mill - Ref: WC2447


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2447

Mill, Ardoch

£8.25

Ardoch, mill - Ref: WC2217


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2217

Claverhouse, Dundee

£8.25

Claverhouse, Dundee - Ref: WC1850

The famous Graham family originally owned the estate of Claverhouse having acquired it in the 16th century. Later, Claverhouse had a bleachfield and mill which was used by the jute manufacturing family, the Baxters.

Today Claverhouse is a modern housing estate and very little now remains of the original buildings on the estate. The mill, however, has been retained, though no longer as a mill, and now forms a central feature in the complex.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1850

Cattle Market, Dundee

£8.25

Cattle Market, Dundee - Ref: WC1755


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1755

Blind Institution, Dundee

£8.25

Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1122

This listed building in Magdalen Yard Road was purpose built as a workshop for the Dundee Instituion for the blind and was occupied as this until 1993. Products manufactured at the Institute included bedding, cane furniture, matting and brushware.

In 1993 the Royal Institute for the Blind and Lord Roberts Workshop amalgamated and are now named Dovetail Enterprises.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1122

Blind Institution, Dundee

£8.25

Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1123

The Dundee Institute for the Blind became the Roayl Dundee Institute of the Blind in 1915 after the directors applied to the King for permission to use Royal in the title, in recognition of the long service of the institute, permission was granted.

After the amalgamation of the institution with Lord Roberts Workshop and subsequent move to Dunsinane the building was converted into sheltered housing accomodation for frail, elderly people.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1123

Blind Institution, Dundee

£8.25

Blind Institution, Dundee - Ref: WC1121

The Dundee Institution for the Blind was founded in 1865 to provide training and work. It was felt at the time that education would widen their outlook and give them an interest in life.

It was also felt that the training in handicrafts would enable the blind people to be self-suporting to some extent. The building in Magdalen Yard Road was opened in 1883.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1121
Syndicate content