Churches

Photographs depicting churches

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3017

With the spires of the Trinity UF church in the background this photo at pierhead shows children in their Sunday best possibly making their way to the Mission Hall just out of the picture to the right.

Young's cycle shop can also be seen in this picture to the left.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3017

General view, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

General view, Newport-0n-Tay - Ref: WC3039

Newport-on-Tay. General view of Newport including the spires and turrets of Trinity U.F. Church. At the beginning of the 19th Century probably only twenty cottages made up the village of Newport with a population of around 100.

As the ferry service developed so did the village. By the middle of the century Newport was becoming a dormitory suburb of Dundee and also a convenient holiday resort for Dundee's businessmen.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3039

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-On-Tay - Ref: WC3041

St Fillans Free Church, Newport-on-Tay. The view is from Hillside Place (close to its junction with Cupar Road); the church stood at the crossroads of Hillside Place, William Street, King Street and Gowrie Street. Victorian children in the picture dressed in their Sunday best. The church was built in 1843 and demolished in 1981.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3041

Newport-On-Tay

£8.25

Newport-on-Tay - Ref: WC3042

Newport-on-Tay, High Street, St.Mary's Episcopal Church. Designed in 1886-7 by T.M. Cappon.

Standing next to St.Mary's Church stands a Tudor-style grand house with the spire of the Congregational Church in the background.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3042

Roslin Chapel

£8.25

Roslin Chapel - Ref: WC3077

This etching Roslin Chapel or St Matthews, which forms part of the collegiate church of Rosslyn founded in 1446, supposedly by Knights Templar.

Famous for its decorative stone carving that covers almost every part of the building, it is rumoured to be the resting place of the Ark of the Covenant. The "Prentice Pillar" has spectacular decoration.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3077

Newburgh

£8.25

Newburgh - Ref: WC3012

High Street, Newburgh. Simpson's furnishing warehouse on left hand side of picture, also known as the Corner Warehouse.

To the right of the picture there is the Livingstone fountain erected by the burgh to John Livingstone of Edinburgh a benefactor and native of Newburgh.


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3012

St. Mary's Parish Church, Hawick

£8.25

St. Mary's Parish Church, Hawick, Roxburghshire - Ref: WC2780


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2780

Hawick

£8.25

Hawick - Ref: WC2781


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2781

St Mary's Church, Hawick

£8.25

St Mary's Church, Hawick - Ref: WC2787


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2787

West Princes Street, Helensburgh

£8.25

West Princes Street, Helensburgh - Ref: WC2789


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2789
Syndicate content