Churches

Photographs depicting churches

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0336

In this photograph, Lindsay Street runs from north at the left hand side southwards, leading to Nethergate beyond the Old Steeple.

William Fenwick, the sanitary plumber, was at No. 11, and Joseph P. Shuttleworth, a weighing machine manufacturer, was at No. 9.

Not seen in the photograph, but immediately to the north of Fenwick's, were the Salvation Army Barracks.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0336

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0338

This photograph shows Lindsay Street leading northwards from Nethergate, with the Old Steeple to the east.

Dr J. Stewart the dentist is listed in the Dundee Directory as Mrs Dr John Stewart. John Stewart was born in Friockheim, trained in Perth and worked in London, Paris, Boston and Philadelphia before settling in Dundee.

Inside the fencing around the Old Steeple is the Mercat Cross, which has been relocated to the front of the city churches.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0338

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0333

This photograph shows the junction of Lindsay Street and Overgate, behind the Old Steeple (part of the City Churches).

William Low's shop is listed in the Dundee Directory as 115 Overgate. At that time, William Low had shops in Dundee, Stirling, Lochee (listed as a separate town!), Perth, Forfar, Leeds (!), Kirkcaldy and Glasgow.

According to a printed price list from 1886 preserved in the Wellgate Library's Lamb Collection, Dundee Cake sold for 5d (five old pennies).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0333

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0334

South Lindsay Street is seen here at the junction with Overgate, near the Old Steeple, with Nethergate / High Street in the distance.

Next door to William Low & Company's grocery shop is probably Islay B. Murray's household agent, while No. 106 Overgate is James B. Lawson, a wine merchant.

These details match entries in the Dundee Directory for 1901.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0334

Lindsay Street, Dundee

£8.25

Lindsay Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0320

This photograph shows the crossing of the southern end of Lindsay Street, Dundee, and the Overgate, with the Old Steeple at the far side of the latter.

Both of the identifiable businesses are listed in various editions of the Dundee Directory as Overgate - the wines and spirits merchant James B. Lawson, about whom no further information has come to light.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0320

Hunter Street, Dundee

£8.25

Hunter Street, Dundee (west side) - Ref: WC0326

Modern-day Hunter Street is an insignificant little road linking the Hawkhill to the Dundee University campus, brightened up only by public art in the form of a sculpture of a cello bridge.

None of the shops is readily identifiable, though it is reasonable to assume that the 'egg & butter store' is a branch of William Low's grocery chain, since they had a shop in the locality for over 15 years.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0326

Albert Square, Dundee

| next
£8.25

Albert Square, Dundee - Ref: WC0005


To the left of this photograph is Dundee High School (the boys' building, which was originally the Public Seminaries).

To the right is the fountain which sat outside the Albert Institute. It was removed when a tree crashed down during a storm and broke the side. 'Rabbie Burns', whose statue stood nearby, wrote to the local paper the next day, expressing his shock.

The church in the centre is Panmure Street Chapel, a congregationalist church. Behind it stands the original Secession Church.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0005
Syndicate content