Churches

Photographs depicting churches

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0458

This photograph is taken from Dundee's Nethergate, looking northwards along Tally Street, with St Mary's church (one of the City Churches - it was also known as the East Church) at the left (and west).

Ferrier's photographic studios are listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 1 Tally Street. The 'manufacturers of silver electroplate' below was A. L. Reis, a watch importer, etc., at Nos. 17 and 19 Nethergate.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0458

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0459

This photograph shows the north west section of Dundee's Nethergate with the majestic towers of St Enoch's Established Church at the left hand side, which is listed in some issues of the Dundee Directory as No. 79, as is the 'merchant tailor' Peter Craig.

No. 29 is the Upholstery and carpet warehouse belonging to Edward Wilson & Sons, who are listed at that address over more than a decade. They placed an advertisement in 1902/03 as yacht furnishers. Next door at No. 31 was Peter McLean, a tobacconist.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0459

Market Cross, Dundee

£8.25

Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0427

One of Alexander Wilson's favourite subjects were Dundee's City Churches, here seen in a photograph of the eastern section of the Nethergate, with carriages waiting on the north side. The same site is currently a taxi rank.

The Mercat Cross ('Unicorn') is at the left hand side. The piece, an original shaft of 1586 (designed by John Mylne) topped by a replica of a design by John Sutherland RSA) was restored to this location as part of the 1999-2000 Overgate re-development.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0427

Market Cross, Dundee

£8.25

Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0431

This Alexander Wilson photograph of Dundee's Nethergate is taken from the foot of Lindsay Street, with the Mercat Cross (a 16th-century column topped by a replica of John Sutherland RSA's 'Unicorn') in the foreground, in the site it occupies in 2000.

The Greenock Worsted Wool Store was No. 82. Worsted wool was finely twisted yarn used in speciality knitting. Mrs Mary Souter's millinery ('Maison Souter') was listed at Nos. 76 and 78, with William Bell, the tailor and clothier at No. 74.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0431

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0448

This photograph of Dundee's Nethergate is taken from the foot of Tally Street looking westwards, with Union Street leading southwards at the left hand side.

William Menzies was the name of the drapery in Albion House, No. 40 Nethergate. The Metropole Restaurant was part of Russell's Royal Hotel, though it is listed as No. 1 Union Street. The hotel was managed in 1905 by A. J. Hitchman.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0448

Market Cross, Dundee

£8.25

Market Cross, Dundee - Ref: WC0452

This photograph of the south side of Dundee's Nethergate was taken from the end of South Lindsay Street. Russell's Royal Hotel stands at the north end of Union Street. The trees are in the grounds of the city churches.

At the righthand edge of the image is the Greenock Worsted Store at No. 82 Nethergate. Nos. 78 and 80 were styled Maison Souter by the 'milliner, dressmaker, mantlemaker and juvenile outfitter', Mrs Mary Souter. She lived at No. 9 Springfield.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0452

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0457

This photograph shows the show side of Dundee's Nethergate, at a point where the city's inner ring road now occupies the site between Meadowside St Paul's church and the ornate building (the New Rossleigh Cycle and Motor Co.'s showroom).

No. 128a Nethergate was the chemist's, Davidson and Gray. No. 130 housed Johnston & Co.' music warehouse. Listed in the Dundee Directory as 'pianoforte, organ and music saloons'. James Johnston, the owner, lived at Starrbank, Cupar, Fife.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0457

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0421

The north-western portion of Dundee's Nethergate is shown in this undated photograph. This area was demolished when the city's ring road Marketgait section was built in the early 1960s.

William Aimer, the photographer, is listed as a photographer at No. 55 Nethergate in the Dundee Directory from 1889-90 until 1892-93. The other businesses are listed both before and after those dates. Annie McNaughton specialised in Berlin wool.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0421

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0422

The north-western section of Dundee's Nethergate is shown in this photograph, taken from a site just to the west of the south end of Lindsay Street.

No. 29 Nethergate was The Army Recruiting Office, the officer in charge in 1911 listed as Major I. Young. Three colour-sergeants are listed as residing at No. 31, Alexander McSwain, David Niven and J. M. Anderson. No. 27 was Isabelle Dunn's game shop.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0422

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0426

Alexander Wilson's photograph of the north side of Dundee's Nethergate shows the west end, with the twin spires of St Enoch's church (strictly speaking in Long Wynd, but listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 75 Nethergate) in the distance.

Mrs E. Dunn, the 'game dealer and poulterer' at No. 27 was Isabella Dunn. She remained at that address until after the First World War. Edward Wilson was an upholsterer and carpet warehouse, established 1798, at No. 29 Nethergate.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0426
Syndicate content