Churches

Photographs depicting churches

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0681


This photograph shows the north side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Rattray Street running to the north and left, and Nicoll Street further to the east. The church in the foreground was Wesleyan Methodist, built in around 1866 with seating for over 700.

Designed by David Mackenzie, the building had a large schoolroom, a vestry and three classrooms below. By the year 2000, the lower portion had been converted to a public house and the main church into a night club.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0681

Ward Road, Dundee

£8.25

Ward Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0678


This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the south side of Ward Road in Dundee, with Barrack Street just to the left (and east) of the shot and North Lindsay Street in the west.

The Ward Road Baptist Church is at the lefthand side, built in 1894. The next building housed the Water Commission's Yard. Then comes the Ward Road Gymnasium, which was built during the period 1890-1. Gymnastics were far more popular then than now.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0678

Perth Road, Dundee

£8.25

Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC0527

The junction of Roseangle (leading off to the south-west and left) with Dundee's Perth Road is the focal point of this photograph by Alexander Wilson, taken from near the south end of Airlie Place.

The church is St John's Roseangle-Ryehill Church, designed by James Hutton in 1884, originally named St John's Free Church. Box 172 of Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection includes various documents, including the sermons preached at the opening.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0527

Overgate, Dundee

£8.25

Overgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0497

This photograph shows Dundee's Overgate, looking eastwards to the junction with Lindsay Street. The Old Steeple can be made out in the distance, just to the south of the junction.

Alexander Meek & Son, the glaziers, were at No. 149 Overgate. The building on the far side of the junction was James B. Lawson, a wines and spirits merchant. The only identifiable business on the south side is P. J. Fletcher, the hairdresser at No. 142.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0497

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0478

This photograph shows the south side of Dundee's Nethergate looking east from somewhere near the south end of Tay Street. The spire of St Paul's Meadowside can be seen in the distance. The foreground is dominated by St Andrew's Pro-cathedral.

Designed in 1835 by George Mathewson, the church opened on 7th August 1836, courtesy in part to £700 raised among the Catholics of France, and became a cathedral on 14th January 1923. No. 152 was A & J Robertson, Broughty Ferry coach builders.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0478

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0482

This photograph from Alexander Wilson's collection shows the south-western section of Dundee's Nethergate, with Sea Wynd leading southwards at the right hand side, the spire of St Paul's Meadowside at the centre and the Royal Hotel in the distance.

J. N. Davidson & Gray were the chemists at No. 128a. The Singer Manufacturing Company (whose Dundee agent was Peter Brand) were at No. 128. No. 126 (below Lorne House, for which no information is to hand) was James R. Martin, a hosier.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0482

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0460

The twin spires at the left hand side of this photograph belonged to St Enoch's Established Church, which is listed in the Dundee Directory as No. 79 Nethergate. The building with the ornate roof to the west was J. Gonnella & Sons, sculptors.

No. 73 was Laird & Sinclair, ironmongers. At No. 67 were Stalker & Boyd, painters and decorators. George Walker, the confectioner, was at No. 57. John Fraser's embroidery warehouse was No. 53. William Aimer was the photographer at No. 55.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0460

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0463

Strictly speaking this photograph shows the junction of the south end of Lindsay Street with the north side of Dundee's Nethergate, with the dental institute brought to prominence by Dr John Stewart at the focal point.

Although the shop at No. 27 Nethergate clearly shows the name William Dunn, the company is listed from 1884 until 1918 in the Dundee Directory as Isabella Dunn, game dealer and poulterer.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0463

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0465

This photograph shows the show side of Dundee's Nethergate, some of which was demolished as part of the 1960s Overgate development and its associated inner ring road.

The New Rossleigh Cycle and Motor Co. Ltd., whose showroom (No. 132) is at the right and west, had head offices in York Buildings, Edinburgh. Richard Morrison the antiquarian had a shop at No. 130a, although the Dundee Directory lists it as No130b.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0465

Nethergate, Dundee

£8.25

Nethergate, Dundee - Ref: WC0471


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0471
Syndicate content