Churches

Photographs depicting churches

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1386

This is a photograph of an engraving of the Old Steeple and City Churches made by James Valentine. The caption underneath reads, "Respectfully presented to the inhabitants of Dundee. By their obedient servant, James Valentine".

Established in 1825, Valentines of Dundee manufactured greetings cards and postcards. They remained a family firm until 1963 when they were taken over by the John Waddington Group. Hallmark then took over the firm. Valentines closed in Dundee in 1994.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1386

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1371

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the north side of the City Churches in Dundee. The complex consists of four churches on the city's Nethergate, and was dominated by the Old Steeple, which dates from the 15th century.

There were four churches in the original complex, which was surrounded by a wall. After a fire in 1841, the buildings were restored, but with only two functioning churches.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1371

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1387

St Mary's Tower dates back to the 1480s. More usually known as the Old Steeple, it was renovated in the 1870s by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. There was a proposal at the time to put a crown on the top of the tower as it was believed the tower may originally have had one.

In the event the crown was not built. The Old Steeple was refurbished again in the late 1990s and has recently been reopened to the public. The guided tours are proving to be a great success with locals and tourists alike.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1387

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1372

This Alexander Wilson photograph shows the City Churches in Dundee, looking south west from Church Wynd, or from what is now the Overgate Shopping Centre. The small building to the right hand side of the church (to the north) is no longer extant.

By the time the picture was taken, there were three churches: the Steeple Church (with St Mary's Tower, or The Old Steeple) attached, the South Church and the East Church.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1372

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1388

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original one was destroyed by Edward 1st. Eventually rebuilt in the 15th century additional churches were added until by 1841 there were four separate churches under one roof.

This attracted the attention of satirist, Thomas Hood, who wrote, "And four churches together with only one steeple, Is an emblem quite apt for the thrift of the people." The churches were destroyed by fire in 1841 but were later rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1388

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1373

This view of the City Churches in Dundee is taken from the north east, from a location which nowadays is the Overgate Shopping Centre. The small building to the north side (a vestry, added some time after 1890) is no longer extant.

The Steeple Church, the South Church and the East Church made up the complex, which was broadly rebuilt after the fire of 1841. The East Church, is now (2001) known as Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1373

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1389

One of Dundee's best known landmarks, the Old Steeple dates back to the late 15th century. Its proper name is actually St Mary's Tower, however, very few Dundonians would recognise this name.

The steeple survived the catastrophic fire of January, 1841, which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. Today it is one of the highest surviving medieval church towers in Scotland.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1389

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1374

From the apparently rural aspect of this photograph it is almost hard to believe the City Churches are in the centre of Dundee. The origins of a church on this site in the city date back to the 12th century. The present churches, however, are of more recent construction.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1374

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1391

This is a photograph of an engraving of the Old Steeple and City Churches made by James Valentine. The caption underneath reads, "Respectfully presented to the inhabitants of Dundee. By their obedient servant, James Valentine".

Established in 1825, Valentines of Dundee manufactured greetings cards and postcards. They remained a family firm until 1963 when they were taken over by the John Waddington Group. Hallmark then took over the firm. Valentines closed in Dundee in 1994.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1391

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1375

The Old Steeple, otherwise known as the Tower of St Mary's, and the City Churches are seen in this photograph on a winter's day. The Old Steeple dates back to the 15th century, a fine example of a Gothic style tower. The steeple and churches have had an interesting, turbulent history.

In 1841 the Churches were destroyed in a devastating fire. Fortunately, the Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt. More recently the Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and has been reopened to the public.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1375
Syndicate content