Churches

Photographs depicting churches

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1395

From 1789 until 1841 Dundee was in the unusual position of having four separate churches under one roof. Known collectively as the City Churches they shared one tower, the Old Steeple.

These churches comprised of the original St Mary's, the South Kirk, the North or Cross Kirk and St Clement's Kirk. A devastating fire in 1841 destroyed the churches. The Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1395

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1379

The City Churches and Old Steeple are among Dundee's best known landmarks. The Old Steeple dates back to the late 15th century. It is 160 feet tall and has 232 steps. It has been a fortified tower, a prison, a belfry and a clock tower in its long turbulent history.

The Old Steeple survived the terrible fire of 1841 which destroyed the City Churches. More recently, the Old Steeple has been reopened to the public where it is proving to be a very popular attraction to locals and tourists alike.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1379

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1380

Dundee already had a church, St Clement's, when David, Earl of Huntingdon, built the Church of St Mary in gratitude for surviving a fierce storm on his return from the Crusades in the 12th century. There has been a church on this site since that time. St Clement's has long gone, now the site of the City Square.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1380

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1381

This photograph shows the Old Steeple and City Churches on a winters day. Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The very first church was built by David, Earl of Huntingdon,. This church was destroyed by the forces of Edward I of England, the Hammer of the Scots.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1381

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1382

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The first church, dedicated to St Mary, was built by David, Earl of Huntingdon. He was the brother of King William the Lion of Scotland. This church was destroyed by Edward Ist, of England.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1382

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1383

In this photograph Dundee's Old Steeple and City Churches can be seen. The churches were burned down in a terrible fire in 1841. This was not the first disaster to strike the buildings in their long and turbulent history. The first church on the site was also burned down by Edward Ist in 1303.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1383

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1384

Dundee's St Mary's Tower is more popularly known by Dundonians as the Old Steeple. Completed in the 1480s the Old Steeple has witnessed, and participated in, much of Dundee's turbulent history.

It was captured by the English in 1547, endured the turmoil of the Reformation, and was used by the defenders of Dundee in the unsuccessful siege against General Monk in 1651. More recently the Old Steeple survived the fire of 1841 which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. The churches were rebuilt in the 1840s.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1384

Baldovan Church, Dundee

£8.25

Baldovan Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1369


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1369

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1385

Dundee's Gothic style St Mary's Tower, popularly known by Dundonians as the Old Steeple, dates back to the 1480s. In its long often turbulent history, the Steeple has served as a belfry, a clock tower, a watch-tower, a prison and possibly, even a place where lepers were confined.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1385

Baldovan Church, Dundee

£8.25

Baldovan Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1370


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1370
Syndicate content