Churches

Photographs depicting churches

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1420

View of churches looking south from South Lindsay Street Dundee. Shops in the picture give a good idea of the variety of goods on sale. John Watson Tailor & Clothier: Item on sale in window from 21/6d to 22/6d. Notice on wall: 4 rooms to Let - I B Murray 42 Barrack Street.

Wm Low & Co - Window display "Lindsay & Lows (Prize Medal) Jams & Jellies: Celebrated Bread & Cakes. J B Lawson Wine Merchant Overgate/Lindsay Street Dundee. Bar on opposite side of the street from Churches. (possibly George Martin Spirit Merchant)

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1420

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1405

View of the Steeple and churches from Nethergate - angle from top of Whitehall Street.The photograph gives an idea of the size of the stained glass window in St Mary's Church. Outside the railings of the Church there are two Hansom cabs and drivers

In February 1844 after the Parish Church was rebuilt, the Council held a public roup for the seats in the Church. 312 sittings were let for one year and raised the sum of £118.14s.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1405

Downfield Free Church, Dundee

£8.25

Downfield Free Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1421

Downfield United Presbyterian Mission was opened on 6th September 1885. The present Church was opened for worship on Thursday, 26th September 1889. The architects were C & L Ower Dundee and cost £1,400.

Downfield United Presbyterian became Downfield United Free in 1900 and Downfield South in 1929.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1421

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1406

View of churches and steeple from Nethergate looking west.The photograph shows what would appear to be an extremely elaborate lamp standard in the middle of the road. This lamp standard is also carrying the lines for tram-cars.

A fire on Sunday 3rd January, 1841 totally destroyed the 3 churches and only the Steeple Church and Tower were saved. By February, 1844 the Parish Church had been rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1406

Dudhope Free Church, Dundee

£8.25

Dudhope Free Church, Dundee - Ref: WC1422

The foundation stone for the new church was laid on 7th June 1870 and opened for public worship on 22nd December 1870at a cost of £2000. The congregation was dissolved on 15 November 1909.

In the front of the photograph there is a little girl with a fan and another group of children standing - this gives an idea of the type of clothing worn in the early 1900's.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1422

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1374

From the apparently rural aspect of this photograph it is almost hard to believe the City Churches are in the centre of Dundee. The origins of a church on this site in the city date back to the 12th century. The present churches, however, are of more recent construction.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1374

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1391

This is a photograph of an engraving of the Old Steeple and City Churches made by James Valentine. The caption underneath reads, "Respectfully presented to the inhabitants of Dundee. By their obedient servant, James Valentine".

Established in 1825, Valentines of Dundee manufactured greetings cards and postcards. They remained a family firm until 1963 when they were taken over by the John Waddington Group. Hallmark then took over the firm. Valentines closed in Dundee in 1994.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1391

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1375

The Old Steeple, otherwise known as the Tower of St Mary's, and the City Churches are seen in this photograph on a winter's day. The Old Steeple dates back to the 15th century, a fine example of a Gothic style tower. The steeple and churches have had an interesting, turbulent history.

In 1841 the Churches were destroyed in a devastating fire. Fortunately, the Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt. More recently the Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and has been reopened to the public.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1375

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1392

Dundee's Old Steeple and City Churches can be seen in this photograph. There has been a church on this site since the 12th century. The first church, dedicated to St Mary, was destroyed in 1303 by Edward 1st. It was eventually rebuilt in the 15th century, at this time the Old Steeple was built.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1392

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1376

There has been a church on this site in Dundee since the 12th century when the Earl of Huntingdon built a church in gratitude for his deliverance from a fierce storm while returning from the Crusades. This first church was destroyed by Edward I in 1303.

Rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the churches endured a turbulent but interesting history. In 1841 a terrible fire destroyed the churches. The Old Steeple, fortunately survived this calamity. The churches were rebuilt as they are seen today.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1376
Syndicate content