Churches

Photographs depicting churches

North Street, St Andrews

£8.25

North Street, St Andrews - Ref: WC3086


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3086

Church, St Monans

£8.25

Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3133

St Monance Church. Braehead 14th Century church standing on a cliff above the sea. The church was built by David II in 1362-70 by Sir William Dishington, Master of Works.

The Church was ruinous in 1772 but received ' partial reparation' to be followed by major restoration by William Burn in 1826-8. The present church probably occupies the site of an early chapel dedicated to the St.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3133

Church, St Monans

£8.25

Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3134

St Monance Church occupying a striking position close to the sea this magnificent church built by Sir William Dishington in 1370 with alterations by William Burn in 1828 and Ian Lindsay in 1950s.

The original level was reinstated during restoration in 1955 by Ian G Linsay which also included removal of wall plaster.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3134

Church, St Monans

£8.25

Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3135

St Monance Church. Braehead 14th century church standing on a cliff above the sea. The church was built by David II in 1362-70 by Sir William Dishington, Master of Works.

There are medieval consecration crosses. The present church probably occupies the site of an early chapel dedicated to the Saint although no trace of such a building has been found.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3135

Church, St Monans

£8.25

Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3136

St Monance Church occupying a striking position close to the sea this magnificent church was built by Sir William Dishington in 1370 by David II. The church was ruinous in 1772 but received 'partial reparation'.

The church had major restoration by William Burn in 1826-8. The original level was reinstated during restoration in 1955 by Ian G Lindsay.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3136

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3137

St Vigeans Church. Dedicated to St Vigean, Irish St who died 664. The Church was rebuilt in the twelfth century but not dedicated until 1242. There were some 15th century alterations.

St Vigeans church was restored in the 19th century with lovely stained-glass windows. Long before it was built the hillock upon which it was built was used as a place of Christian burial.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3137

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3138

St Vigean's church is the "mother" church of the entire parish and of Arbroath. Long before the church was built, the hillock upon which it stands was used as a place of Christian burial.

Dedicated to St Vigean, Irish St who died 664. The church was rebuilt in the twelfth century but was not dedicated until 1242. The consecration was by Bishop David de Bernham of St Andrews.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3138

Church, St Vigeans

£8.25

Church, St Vigeans - Ref: WC3139

St Vigean's church named after the Irish St. The church is of red-brown sandstone common in the district, it is an 1872 restoration of an ancient fabric reaching back in part before the 1242 consecration by Bishop David de Bernhamn of St Andrews.

The church remained the sole church of the parish until 1585 or thereby when an Arbroath parish was disjoined. The graveyard is also shown on this picture.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3139

Church, Stonehaven

£8.25

Church, Stonehaven - Ref: WC3193


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3193

Panmure Street Church, Dundee

£8.25

Panmure Street Church, Dundee - Ref: WC3305


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3305
Syndicate content