Churches

Photographs depicting churches

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1411

This appears to be a copy of a painting/drawing of the churches with what would seem to be a market in the street in front of the churches. Some of the men are dressed in long-tailed coats with breeches and top hats.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1411

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1396

Up to 1560 seating was not provided in Churches. Worshipers were expected to stand. After the fire in 1560 desks were erected for Burgess's and their wives and some stools, chairs etc were provided. After the last fire in 1841 seating was provided when the building was rebuilt.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1396

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1412

In this photograph the Tower of St Mary's, popularly known as the Old Steeple, can be seen. Dating back to the 1480s the steeple has had a long and turbulent history. It has served as a watch-tower, a stronghold, and a prison as well as being a belfry and clock tower.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1412

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1397

The entrance to St Paul's Church is shown. A fourth burgh church was needed due to the increase in population and in 1823 the Town Council purchased Mr Haldane's Tabernacle and it was called St David's Church and situated near the West Port.

This Church remained in existence until 1947 when part of the roof collapsed. St David's amalgamated with St Paul's and the church became knows as Old St Paul's and St Davids. This is now the Mary Slessor Centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1397

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1413

From the Alexander Wilson Collection. Ink drawing of the "Tower" (better known locally as The Old Steeple). Buildings attached to the Tower appear either to have been demolished or in the process of being built.

The Tower was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, Prince of Scotland, brother of King William the Lion, First of Scotland after being saved from shipwreck in sight of Dundee while returning from the 3rd Crusade with Richard I of England in 1189.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1413

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1398

Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original church, called St Mary's, was destroyed by Edward 1st, (Hammer of the Scots), in 1303. Eventually rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the church and steeple have endured a turbulent history.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1398

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1414

This photograph shows the Old Steeple viewed from Nethergate at the bottom of South Lindsay Street Dundee. The Old Steeple was restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott at a cost of £8,780. The money being raised from subscriptions from Dundee inhabitants and the Common Good Fund of Dundee.

In South Lindsay Street are the shops of Birnies Scientific Maker (a pair of spectacles used as an advertisement over the door) and John Kirk, Boot Manufacturer and General Merchant. Tram lines are shown in the Nethergate.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1414

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1399

The church was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon and Prince of Scotland, brother of King William the Lion, First of Scotland after being saved from shipwreck in sight of Dundee returning from the 3rd Crusade with Richard First of England in 1189.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1399

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1415

This photograph is entitled "The Tower at Dundee." First mention of the The Tower in Burgh records was in 1540,When it was decided to replace the clock. The new clock was put in on Palm Sunday 1543. Before the Reformation, The Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and secret stronghold.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1415

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1400

The first mention of the Tower in Burgh records was in 1540 when it was decided to replace the clock in the Steeple. The work as finished on Palm Sunday 1543.

Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and Secret stronghold. In the mid 17th century it was turned into a fort after a fire in the nave isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc1400
Syndicate content