Churches

Photographs depicting churches

Church, Anstruther

£8.25

Anstruther, church - Ref: WC2168


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2168

Kirk Square, Arbroath

£8.25

Arbroath, Kirk Square - Ref: WC2172


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2172

St Mary's Episcopal Church, Arbroath

£8.25

Arbroath, St Mary's Episcopal Church and Manse, Ponderlaw Street - Ref: WC2176


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2176

St Mary's Episcopal Church, Arbroath

£8.25

Arbroath, St Mary's Episcopal Church and Manse, Ponderlaw Street - Ref: WC2177


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2177

Victoria Street United Presbyterian Church, Dundee

£8.25

Victoria Street United Presbyterian Church, Dundee - Ref: WC2128


The Victoria Street Church, located in Brown Constable Street, was completed in September 1875. Rev. William Rose was the first pastor of the church and was still minister at the time of this photograph. The church is now used for commercial purposes (2001).

The Lamb Collection in the Central Library, Dundee has some interesting early material relating to Victoria Street Church, including a small text book for children, festival programmes and annual reports (Box 174(10)).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2128

Ryehill Church, Dundee

£8.25

strong>Ryehill Church, Dundee - Ref: WC2129

This Norman style church, designed by architect George Aitken, was opened on the 5th March 1880. In 1985, the church and its associated buildings were converted into 19 flats.

The row of shops in the photograph include, from right, Andrew Lawson, medical hall, William J. Rae, grocer, Mrs John Ramsay, confectioner, Jane Dewar, fruiterer, Charles Chalmers, butcher and A. W. Osler, grocer.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2129

St David's Church, Dundee

£8.25

St David's Church, Dundee - Ref: WC2130

St David's Church, Tay Street, was originally a "Tabernacle" church built by the Haldane Brothers in 1800. It was purchased by the Town Council in the early 19th century. Large scale alterations followed. The church was occupied until May 1947.

It was purchased by J. M. Wallace who transformed it into a popular dance hall, the J M Ballroom, which first opened in 1954. It continued under various names until it burned down in October 1994. The site is now cleared and is used as a car park.(2001).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2130

St John's Church, Perth Road, Dundee

£8.25

St John's Church, Perth Road, Dundee - Ref: WC2131

The imposing spire of St John's Church is clearly visible in the centre of this photograph.The church was designed by architect, James Hutton, in 1884. It is situated on a corner site on the Perth Road and Roseangle.

The flat-roofed building in Airlie Place, just visible through the trees to the right of the church, is now part of the campus of the University of Dundee.(2001).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2131

City Churches, Dundee

£8.25

City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC2132

One of Dundee's oldest buildings, St Mary's Tower, can be seen in this photograph of the City Churches. The tower, better known as the Old Steeple, dates back to the 15th century.

A devastating fire in 1841 destroyed the earlier churches at the site, but fortunately the Steeple survived unscathed. They were rebuilt and now the Old Steeple and City Churches are one of Dundee's best-known landmarks.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2132

Old Machar Church, Aberdeen

£8.25

Old Machar Church, Aberdeen - Ref: WC2151


Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc2151
Syndicate content