Arches

Photographs depicting arches

Richard Porter in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Richard Porter" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0897

This photograph is something of a mystery in that no vessel called "Richard Porter" appears in Lloyd's Register for that date, yet contemporary newspaper reports state that she was in Dundee, but sailed six days before the given date.

The Dundee Advertiser reports her arrival on 20th May at the King William IV Dock, having brought 140 tons of kainite (a salt-based fertiliser) and 20 tons of straw from Hamburg. She sailed again on the 9th with a cargo of coal tar for Koenigsberg.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0897

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0898

The "Riga" in this photograph by Alexander Wilson (there were several vessels of that name in Lloyd's Register, but none seems to match) was a wooden two masted schooner, registered in the Norwegian port of Stavanger.

She is pictured in the north west corner of Dundee's King William IV Dock, near the Royal Arch, which was erected in 1848 to celebrate the visit in 1844 of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0898

Riga in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Riga" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0899

This photograph, which comes from the private collection of a Dundee jute factory manager, Alexander Wilson, shows a wooden two-masted schooner, the "Riga" in the north west corner of King William IV Docks in the city's harbour.

The other two vessels in the dock are unidentified, that at the lefthand side being a topsail schooner and the other an early puffer or coastal steamer. Behind them is Dock Street, with the City Assembly Rooms of 1828 just right of centre.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0899

Kyles in Dundee Harbour

£8.25

"Kyles" in Dundee Harbour - Ref: WC0846

This photograph was taken by Alexander Wilson, a Dundee-based amateur, and shows the iron screw steamer, "Kyles", built by J. Fullerton and Co., of Paisley, in 1872.

She was owned by Mr J C Taylor of Newcastle, had a gross tonnage of 80 and measured 82.9 feet in length. She is berthed in the Tidal Basin, with the sailing ships in the King William Dock (the Royal Arch of 1848 can also be seen).

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0846

Eclipse in Dundee Docks

£8.25

"Eclipse" in Dundee Docks - Ref: WC0811

This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the "Eclipse", a wooden 3-masted full-rigged ship, built at Aberdeen in 1867. She was bought by James Mitchell of Dundee in around 1892 from David Gray of Peterhead.

The "Eclipse" is seen berthed in the north-east corner of Dundee's Earl Grey Dock, with the Royal Arch immediately to the left and north. The long boats which can be seen at the foremast are stacked there presumably to save space.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc0811

Royal Arch, Dundee

£8.25

Royal Arch, Dundee - Ref: WC4300


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4300

Royal Arch, Dundee

£8.25

Royal Arch, Dundee - Ref: WC4302


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4302

Greenmarket, Dundee

£8.25

Greenmarket, Dundee - Ref: WC4163


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc4163

Royal Arch, Dundee

£8.25

Royal Arch, Dundee - Ref: WC3920

Collection for R.N.L.I. 2nd. June 1906.


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3920

Ships, Dundee

£8.25

Ships, Dundee - Ref: WC3664


Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.

£8.25
Ref: 
wc3664
Syndicate content